Monday 24 April 2017

O Boundless Salvation

A few years back I was in a regular church service, it wasn't immediately apparent but morale was low and people were discouraged. As the service came to an end we were to sing "O Boundless Salvation". Written by the founder of The Salvation Army, it is I suppose, the theme song of the denomination and sometimes it's singing is accompanied by somebody taking the flag and marching around. It is a symbolic underlining of faith and gratitude and it brings an emotional response, just like singing a national anthem.

On this particular day we started to sing and I felt that we needed somebody to take up the flag but nobody was. I wanted to catch somebody's eye to suggest it but nobody was looking and so, despite the fact that I stagger like a drunk sailor at the best of times, I decided that it was up to me and somehow, just like that, I became the flag waver. Not just for that day but for days to come.
With Clyde
Yesterday, as we had our last service in that location we again closed with "O Boundless Salvation" and I was called to service again.

I couldnt make it down the steps with the flag so I called a "volunteer" and tried to get everyone moving. I feel strongly that in some ways it is my job to lead my church community in their attitude to this change, to show optimism and expectation for the future.
As I walked behind the flag, I knew that I had to grab Clyde and include him. Clyde has been a bright, engaged man, deeply committed to his faith but in recent months he has suffered several brain bleeds and is a shadow of what he was. I took his hand and led him around. I hope I gifted him something.

14 comments:

  1. Tears here. Thank you. I am sure you gave Clyde something. Something powerful and warm.
    And your positive attitude warmed the cockles of my heart. Inclusion is SUCH a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you stagger like a drunk sailor at the best of times?

    Sad that something that you like so much is closing down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a neurological disorder which effects balance.
      I'm trying not to look at it as closure but it definitely feels that way

      Delete
  3. As a non-believer, there's not much I can say about the closure decision. But I have to say that the two organisations I always give money to if asked are the Salvation Army and the St John Ambulance Brigade, as I know how much excellent work they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Nick, as a non-believer I think you and people like you might have a new perspective on it. It's not a closure per se, more of an amalgamation and the programs offered to the local community will continue so donations wont be wasted ;)

      Delete
  4. Kylie there is no way you did not give Clyde something. It is so easy to be "present" when everything is going well for someone. To be there when things are not optimum is a gift, and to be able to see someone who is even a shadow of what they once were as vital and valuable is the ultimate gift. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. On any normal day I might not have thought much about it but I know that the changes we are experiencing would break Clyde's heart so I wanted to at least include him in the farewell

      Delete
  5. It appears to me that you have real leadership qualities. I hope they are being put to good use beyond your flag waving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was very kind and thoughtful of you to include Clyde. That was a great gift to him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, what a tale! The spirit of Christ at his best is certainly within you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow,
      Thank you.
      Let us see what spirit is within me when the reality of this amalgamation kicks in, when I am tempted to resent longer travel times and loss of community

      Delete

go on, leave a comment or four.