Thursday 21 February 2008

Camel Racing



When the horse flu came to NSW it pretty well crippled the racing industry and the harness racing club at Harold Park started running camel races as a way of recouping some of their losses.
Now that the end to the flu crisis is in sight I realised that the camels won't be racing too many more times and decided to take the kids out there for a night.
Dimples and his father refused to come so the rest of us set out for an adventure. No. 1 son helped out with the navigation ( it's a long time since I've been to that part of the world) He did a superb job and we arrived just after the first race.
I have never been to a racecourse, or in this case paceway, before so that was new. We wandered down and took some seats right at the front.

The camels all had glittery sequin-styled saddle "blankets" and the compere was dressed up in a robe and fez.The camels are quite funny to watch when they race, they tend to swerve across the track, slow down and speed up unpredictably and only stop for their feed bucket.
At one point there was a delay between races so we went to get some drinks and snacks. While we were there I made an entry in a draw to ride a camel.
Some time later I received a phone call to say that my name had been drawn!

I lined up with my competition....a strong, fit young bloke who asked my strategy. My answer "to stay on" was closer to the truth than I could have imagined.
We signed our disclaimers and made our way down to collect our silks. The sight of the ambulance parked near the track suddenly became a bit uncomfortable.

The handlers asked if I had ridden a horse and when I said no they promised me a quiet animal. She had a fantastic glittery purple saddle cloth which was spectacularly fitting with my rainbow silks and lime green cap. The kids called across the track asking me what number I would be riding and I was so excited I couldn't remember how to hold up six fingers!

I hopped on and the handler walked us around for some time. I was waving and blowing kisses to the kids, having a grand old time. The MC announced to the whole crowd that "Kylie hasn't ridden anything for some time" What, do I have a tattoo or something? My camel man kept telling me that I would need to shout at this girl to get her to run.
We started wandering toward the start line and were still a distance away when Mr camel man turned us around, let go of the reins and shouted "GO"!!

My girl started to run, swerved left and my foot slipped out of the stirrup, swerved right and my helmet fell over my eyes.
"Hang on with your legs, hang on with your hands, squeeze with your legs and hang on tight" I told myself. It was like a mantra.
After the longest few seconds of my life she slowed down and I realised that I might just make it to the end. What had that guy said about shouting at her? I couldn't have done that even if I'd wanted to!
After about 15 seconds the race was over. Second last was good enough for me!
I wondered if my legs would hold me when I got down. I dismounted very slowly. It had been utterly terrifying. And exhilarating.
We all shook hands and had a photo. I handed my fabulous silks back and after that there was nothing left but to go home.
I have sore muscles and rainbow bruises to remind me of my stint as a champion camel jockey.
Would I do it again?
Does a camel spit?

eating: red jumbo snakes. yum.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Kyles, where's the photo? Well done. I'd forgotten that you'd actually ridden the camel. Terrifying & Terrific at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great adventure, but I too would love to see pictures of the camel and your silks.
    Glad you came out of "exile", for a minute.
    I enjoy visiting!

    hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was cool. ANd funny, what a memory. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kylie,
    What an adventure! I can't even think about that...
    My pappa was trying to teach me how to ride a motor bike...am scared to death by the first ride...never never tried again..
    Please upload the photos..
    ♥ & ((hugs))
    bindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't going to read because I don't like horse racing and like camel racing less. I care about animals and don't like to see them exploited (you know me!). But I read. I laughed so hard. When I was done, I called Rob in to read. He laughed equally hard and I laughed right along with him. He loved it. He thinks you're an absolute hoot! I do too. God I love you!

    XO Suze

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kylie,

    Roll over Lawrence of Arabia!

    Maybe you should make a return visit to Coolgardie?
    Cheers,
    Attenuator

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the picture, thanks. Glad you are able to "visit" blogland from work. I really enjoy coming here to visit.

    till later,
    hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.